Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) Improvements from East of Cawthra Road to The East Mall
Detail Design and Class Environmental Assessment G.W.P. 2102-13-00 & G.W.P. 2432-13-00
Study Background & Overview
The Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) has undertaken a Preliminary Design and Class Environmental Assessment Study to examine the rehabilitation and improvement needs for the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) from Evans Avenue to Cawthra Road (W.O. 09-20003).
A Transportation Environmental Study Report (TESR) was prepared to document the study, including the key features of the Recommended Plan, and was made available for a 30 day public review period which ended February 16, 2016.
A community meeting was held in June 2016 to present project information and obtaining feedback on the proposed stormwater management pond on Brentano Boulevard. Based on the community feedback MTO reassessed feasible alternatives for stormwater management in consultation with the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change (MOECC), between Dixie Road to Etobicoke Creek. Alternatives considered the public comments received in the meeting, the Part II Order application, MTO’s standard practices and MOECC requirements.
MTO is pleased to inform that the proposed Brentano Boulevard stormwater management pond has been moved to the QEW Dixie Road interchange loop as part of the proposed improvements.
The relocation of the pond is meeting MOECC requirements and does not impact any additional properties or back onto residential homes. MTO will ensure that its design will include all standard safety and maintenance requirements.
On September 25th, 2017 MOECC approved the TESR including the stormwater management pond in the QEW Dixie Road interchange loop and the Preliminary Design and Class Environmental Assessment Study is now finalized.
This project is following the approved planning process for requirements of a Group “B” project under the MTO Class Environmental Assessment (EA) for Provincial Transportation Facilities (2000). For more information on the MTO Class EA click here:
The Detail Design Plan includes the following components:
- Replacement of the QEW / Dixie Road Underpass and reconfiguration of the QEW / Dixie Road Interchange to a full-moves interchange including modifications to municipal roads;
- Replacement of the Etobicoke Creek Bridge;
- Replacement of the Ogden Pedestrian Bridge and structural culvert west of Dixie Road;
- Rehabilitation of The West Mall Ramp bridges over Etobicoke Creek and QEW;
- Realignment of local service roads;
- Rehabilitation of the Brown’s Line Overpasses;
- Localized QEW widening to accommodate operational and safety improvements and to maintain six lanes of traffic during construction;
- Drainage improvements including the addition of stormwater management ponds;
- Watermain and sanitary sewer works;
- Modifications to / installation of retaining walls, noise barriers, sign-structures, traffic signals and illumination.
A Design and Construction Report (DCR) will be prepared to document the study process, design details, environmental impacts and mitigation measures, and a summary of consultation undertaken. The DCR will be made available for a 30-day public review period. The DCR review period will be advertised in local newspapers, the project website, and mailed to those on the project mailing list.
© Copyright 2017 | All Rights Reserved.